Tuesday, December 4, 2007

DIY Light Box

OK.
Well, let's just say the results were NOT what I expected! I used a large shipping box and cut out the sides and top like in the DIY Light box posts I have seen on line. (I wanted it a little bigger for Busts and larger objects.) Used tracing paper over the openings to filter the light. THis was EASY and looked like the photos on line...close enough any way.
*sigh*
$37.44 later...( I purchased lights and the fixtures from OSH)

Thank GOODNESS there were A TON of people that gave me GREAT information in the Etsy forums...let me thank "mambetsy" she was awesome!
I am thinking it comes down to the lighting that I am using!
They all told me about the "white balancing" thing, which I can only change in manual. My Nikon D40 does it auto in Macro which is what I learned I need to be in when I shoot jewelry...so, I'm a bit confused. Meaning, I can't change it in Macro so, it's still dark and off color.
Ah, now the WORLD OF LIGHT BULBS!
Ugh...
Thanks again to "mamabetsy" she hooked me up with this awesome bookmark...I gotta find it and I will post it!
http://www.tabletopstudio.com/documents/TTS_LIGHT_MYTHS.htm
Now, if I can just make it work WITH this information!
LOL!
I ordered 2 Trumpet Top bulbs..yes, I spent MORE money...But I figure I NEED to figure this out. I can't always work my life around the sun and when I can take pictures!
I have come to the conclusion that my lighting is off and this is why my color in my photos is off.
Uh, yeah, that's it.
I currently have 3 lights.
I purchased 2 reflector dome shaped ones at OSH and I am using my drafting lamp. I am thinking as long as the bulbs are correct that should be fine.

(If anyone knows better PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LEAVE ME A comment/POST ON ANYTHING to help me take better pictures!) :P

I am wondering if I need 2 more lights? I am still getting shadows, so I was thinking to put 2 on the sides, one on top and 2 in the front on each side?

All I know as of right now, my pictures look decent on the taupe/gray background I have already been using but that kinda defeats the purpose to me...LOL...I want a white "white" background. Plus, the colors are still a bit distorted.
This afternoon I took a few photos in the light box using the natural sun coming in my windows...I'll have to see how these came out.

I will be writing more on my light box experience.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: