Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Atelier Kanawa





Atelier Kanawa

"Where you can find The Truly Authentic Japanese Handcrafts evolved by Certified Kimono Consultant of All Japan Kimono Consultant Association.
As a top quality artisan with the Expertise of Kimono, Geisha/Classical Japanese Dance, Tsumami Kanzashi, and Bingata/Katazome Dyeing Kimono techniques, I handcraft Particular Traditional & Modern Japanese pieces from the highest quality materials."
(from her shop announcement)

One of my FAVORITE Tsunami Kanzashi designers I have ever come across! Truly an AMAZING artisan I have wanted to share her shop and designs since the moment I first came across her products earlier this year. All I can say is that when I look at her pieces I see why She has the reputation that she does.

Below are excerpts from The Storque Interview.
To see the entire Interview please check out this link:
http://www.etsy.com/storque/section/thisHandmadeLife/article/traditional-japanese-crafts-with-atelier-kanawa/298/

"Today, there are ONLY 15 acknowledged Tsumami Kanzashi artisans in the whole world. Most of them don't have successors to carry out this beautiful traditional art, so it is RAPIDLY dying out. I was blessed to be accepted as a private pupil by one of them in this summer, even though my master does not train anybody anymore due to serious illness. That meant so much to me that my master passionately taught me everything, because he wants this authentic art to remain in this world. I can not even put in words how much I was honored to inherit my master's spirit.

Today, I deeply regard my ancestors who were in Kimono business. I passionately strive to pass this "disappearing culture" on to the next generation throughout the world. I will be very happy if you enjoy my authentic Japanese art work."

Being a fourth generation and VERY Americanized Japanese American I am in AWE of such talent and dedication to keep this important part of our history alive. Atelier Kanawa designs are pieces that you will cherish for a lifetime and I imagine you could pass down generation to generation. If you haven't taken the time to check out her shop PLEASE do. I also HIGHLY recommend to read her entire article in The Storque where there are photos and videos as well.

I am blessed to see such beauty being created for all of us to enjoy.

PLEASE VISIT HER SHOP AT:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=35874

*All PHOTOS have been borrowed from Atelier Kanawa's shop.*

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Sugarloaf said...

Oh wow...her work is GORGEOUS!! Thanks for sharing!!

Unknown said...

Oh!
I know?!?!!!
She is AMAZING!!!!!